5S is a Japanese philosophy that focuses on effective workplace organization and standardized work procedures. 5S is a method or technique used to create and maintain a quality environment in an organization.
There are 5 primary phases of 5S:
SEIRI - SORT :
To sort and remove what is not needed in the work place.
SEITON - STRAIGHTEN:
To organize and neatly place things so that they are easily accessible when needed.
SEISO - SHINE/CLEANING:
To clean workplace and ensure no dirt on the floor, machinery or equipment.
SEIKETSU - STANDARDIZE:
To standardize and maintain best practises in order to follow the 3 principles of Seiri-Seiton-Seiso.
SHITSUKE - SUSTAIN:
To discipline and train employees to follow rules and regulations and always adopt a positive attitude in the workplace.
- Create a clean, tidy and systematic workplace for the staff convenience
- Increase collaboration among staff in daily tasks
- Create a highly disciplined and prudent culture among the staff
- Ensure work place safety for all employees
- Improve the quality of service delivery through kaizen culture and practices
Link to 5S MinDef is http://mindef5s.mod.gov.my